NATIONAL DIPLOMA (ND) IN PARALEGAL STUDIES (LAW)
To assist in solving the problem of providing quality legal education to all and sundry at an affordable cost, Ambassador College of Management and Technology (AMBATECH) was established in 1992 to provide relevant educational programmes.
The goal of Paralegal Studies is to produce ‘diplomats’ who have the bodies in their duties.
The objectives of Paralegal Studies are to prepare ‘diplomats’ to:
- Carry out support services to lawyers in the running of the affairs of their chambers.
- Facilitate the establishment of the attorney-client relationship.
- Assist in the production of legal documents and papers
- Manage cases as an arbitrator or a conciliator.
- Assist in the Advocacy of Human Rights.
- Effectively manage a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO).
- Exercise paralegal functions in the courts system.
- Provide effective support to law enforcement agencies and other institutions involved in the administration of justice.
- Keep office accounts and records.
WHO THEN IS A PARALEGAL?
A paralegal or legal assistant is a person qualified by education, training or work experience who is employed or retained by a lawyer, law office, corporation, governmental agency or other entity who performs specifically delegated substantive legal work for which a lawyer is responsible.